Mission Statement

To provide a place for parents and family members to meet and share experience, strength, give hope and awareness, to other families who have similar experiences raising children with ADD/ADHD, SPD, Anxiety, ASD, mental health diagnosis, developmental and behavioral challenges. Through sharing in this experience of raising these hard to raise kids, we grow stronger and more resilient.

Easy to Love is a 501 (C) (3) Non-Profit Organization

Friday, September 16, 2011

Easy to Love But Hard to Raise BOOK REVIEW


Easy to Love But Hard to Raise
Edited by: Kay Marner & Adrienne Ehlert Bashista

When my advance copy review arrived last weekend I was so excited! I could not wait to start reading the book that Kay & Adrienne had put together. As I am sure many of you know finding time to read can be nearly impossible, but for whatever reason things worked out during the week. I had two free mornings while Emma was in school. Little or no errands to run and didn’t want to waste hours of time driving the 40 minutes to and from our house- not mention the gas! I parked my behind at a local coffee shop, coffee and book in hand and started reading.

The stories shared in this book are all wonderfully and brutally honest. I was touched in many ways while reading these stories. Some simply touched my heart. Parents like me that willingly sacrifice to make sure we are giving our children everything & anything, including our entire self. Others touched a deep raw nerve, the parents who wrote in black and white the struggles they have faced as parents & as a family. It was cathartic for me to read parents admit that they question themselves, question God and wonder where the hell did the fantasy of becoming a parent go? Why is this so hard? And the worst, what am I doing wrong? This book literally helped me work through my own guilt through theirs.
The expert advice throughout this book offered wonderful insight and ideas from a professional level. I have already highlighted sections of pages, dog eared pages and scribble notes along the pages of questions to ask my daughters professionals. The combination of personal and professional is like no other book I have read. It is a mix of hope, sorrow, comradery and help all in one place. There are several stories I will read again and I would recommend this book to any one who is living the battlefield that is special needs parenting.

On a personal note I want to thank Kay and Adrienne for giving myself and Jennifer the idea, permission and support to use the name of the book for our local Utah support group.

-Lindsay

1 comment: